As for the Food Security Act, 2006 passed by Parliament its mandatory for all the products that are edible must be registered and obtain license under the FSSAI even though it’s of small or medium scale. Even the street vendors, and small eatery shops on roads comes under licensing procedure of FSSAI, by this example you can judge what is appropriate in your case.
Do I need to apply for an FSSAI Registration?
- It governs people involved in any food business,. whether manufacturing or selling, and food business operators.
- Airline Service
- Food Canteens
- Place where Food items sole, manufactures or Stored.
- FSSAI Regulations have clarified that E-Commerce Companies also be required to obtain licenses/registration and to comply with regulations.
“These e-commerce players are also selling food products or dealing with the food business in one form or another on their platforms. And food and food businesses come under the ambit of FSSAI, so they have to register with us,” says Ashish Bahuguna, Chairman of FSSAI.
How to Apply FSSAI License ?
FSSAI Basic registration
– This is required for small business or startups which have annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. Basic registration can be upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.
FSSAI State license
– This license is applicable to mid-sized companies which have annual turnover between Rs.12-20 crores.
FSSAI Central license
– This license is applicable typically on large business with annual turnover above Rs.20 crores. It is also required in cases where you need to supply at the government offices or import / export food products.
You can apply for FOOD License by going to any of the following links:
FSSAI Operator will also be required to comply with requirements relating to:
Packing and labeling of foods items along with ingredients, expiry date and FSSAI Licenses number.
Standards of quality prescribed for various food items.
Use , quality, and quantity of various ingredients
Maintenance of records, filing of returns, and intimations with the authority for any changes in particulars of registration/license
To provide assurance of food safety, Food businesses must implement an effective Food Safety Management System (FSMS) based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) and suitable pre- requisite programmes by actively controlling hazards throughout the food chain starting from food production till final consumption.
As per the condition of license under FSS (Licensing & Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations 2011, every food business operator (FBO) applying for licensing must have a documented FSMS plan and comply with schedule 4 of these regulations. Schedule 4 introduces the concept of FSMS based on implementation of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Good Hygiene Practices (GHP) by food businesses and is divided into five parts as under:.
Documents required to obtain FSSAI Registration
Passport Size Photo of Applicant
Pan Card of Applicant
Form A (Download Copy)
Documents required to obtain FSSAI License
- Copy of Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Proprietor/Partners/Director
- Property papers (If owned property)
- Rent agreement (If rented property)
- Partnership Deed (In case of Partnership)
- Declaration form.
- Authority letter with name and address of responsible person
- Electricity / Water /Telephone / Mobile bill of business place
- Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution
- Food Safety Management System plan or certificate
- MOA/AOA (In case of company)
Please let us know if you have any doubts or clarification on the same. We will be glad to help you with any questions with regard to your Query. You can reach me at +91- 9653363892