The Supreme Court (SC) has allowed linking of PAN with Aadhaar while reading out its verdict on the constitutional validity of Aadhaar. A bench comprising Justices A K Sikri and S Abdul Nazeer said the top court has already decided the matter and upheld Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act.
The court’s direction came on an appeal filed by the Centre against a Delhi High Court order allowing two persons, Shreya Sen, and Jayshree Satpute, to file Income Tax returns for 2018-19 without linking their Aadhaar and PAN numbers.
The income tax return would not be processed if your Aadhaar is not linked with PAN. If you have to carry out a banking transaction above Rs 50,000, you have to get your PAN and Aadhar linked.
The deadline for linking PAN with Aadhar card is 31st March 2019.
In order to provide a short period of relief in genuine case of taxpayers who have applied for Aadhaar, the Government has allowed such selected people the exemption to quote their Aadhaar enrolment number of the of the application form in the Income-tax return.
No document is required for linking PAN with Aadhar except details of both the document should match.
Why linking is necessary?
- In case multiple PAN Cards has been issued in the same name, Linking will help in tackling the problem.
- Summarized detail can be obtained of taxes levied for future reference.
- Taxpayers will be relieved of the burden of submitting IT acknowledgment to the Department of Income Tax, as the identity of the filer would be authenticated using the Aadhaar mechanism.
- It will also reduce the cost incurred by the Income Tax Department in execution and areas of compliance reconciling it with e-filed returns receiving the hard copy.
Linking Aadhaar with PAN by Sending an SMS
In order to link your Aadhar to PAN, follow these steps:
- Type UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>
- Send the message to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number.
- If your Aadhaar number is 987654321012 and your PAN is ABCDE1234F, you have to type UIDPAN 987654321012 ABCDE1234F and send the message to either 567678 or 56161
Aadhaar to PAN using e-Filing Portal?
A guide with screenshots on how to link aadhar to PAN / Permanent Account Number. Compulsory to provide both Aadhaar & PAN number while filing Income Tax Return ( ITR )
Step 1: Register yourself at the income tax e filing portal, if you are not already registered.
Step 2: Log in to the e-filing website by using your ‘User ID’ and ‘Password’.
Step 3: Click on the ‘Profile Settings’ tab, from the various tabs available at the top of the page. Click on ‘Link Aadhaar‘ from the drop-down list.
Step 4: Your personal details will appear on the screen, then verify the details on the screen with the details available on your Aadhaar Card. If they match, you can simply click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button
Step 5: Then a pop-up message ‘Aadhaar-PAN linking has been completed successfully’ will appear on the screen.
Income Tax Department has provided a facility to correct the errors in any of the information mentioned in PAN Card or Aadhar Card except for your biometric information, an application for correction can be made to either UIDAI or the Income Tax Department.
This means information can be updated in either Aadhar Card or PAN Card i.e in whichever document change is required.